“Let’s keep in touch!” “We should do lunch!” “Give me a call sometime!” Ah, yes. These lovely phrases are the proverbial dime-a-dozen. Many people say these things with amazing frequency and without ever actually acting on them. We are all guilty lolAnd it’s no wonder why. If someone was to actually act on all of these phrases, they’d have a full-time job just dedicated to keeping in touch with everyone in their personal and professional networks. (Yet another reminder of why sincerity should always be the rule of the game).
So what are some fun ways to keep in touch with family and friends without feeling over-extended? Hopefully one, some, or all of the following ideas will strike your fancy.
1. Pick up the phone. You don’t have to talk for hours – but sometimes just hearing your loved one’s voice makes all those miles between you disappear (at least for a little while). Call loved ones whenever you can.
2. Fire up your computer and send off some meaningful emails. Regularly. A thoughtful message – no matter how brief – goes a long way.
3. Write and mail handwritten letters. These are an anomaly today and because they are so few and far between, the special factor is especially high. So don’t be shy about penning your thanks, love, encouragement, or hellos at least once a week. Each note can be brief or lengthy, and should always be sincere. Ten minutes tops, and your letter is good to go. To start, send a note to one person this week. Send another letter to someone else next week. Do the same three weeks from now, and four weeks from now, and five weeks from now, and…
4. Send the occasional care package – especially when it’s least expected. These packages are a great opportunity to let your creativity soar, and they can be theme-based or filled with a variety of odds and ends. Some fun ideas for the contents include: an interesting bumper sticker, colorful striped socks, a travel-size game, two hot pink pens, and Cracker Jack.
5. Along these lines, consider setting up a group page on Facebook and inviting specific individuals to join this group online. There you can post photos, share comments, and stay connected in real time.